The Indian embassy in Nepal offers several scholarships to Nepalese students for undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Indian colleges as well as other scholarships in the form of stipends for students studying in Nepal. For those who are eligible to apply for scholarships in India, It is a great opportunity because not only do we get to study in the best colleges in India, where even Indian students have to struggle a lot to get admission, we also get monthly stipends of Rs. 3600 per month for undergraduate (bachelor’s) students and about Rs 5000 for postgraduate(master’s students). The scholarships are available for most mainstream branches like Engineering, Medical and Management. Many people do not know that there are numerous scholarships for subjects like Music, Art and many others.
According to the official website:
Number of Scholarships provided every year: 1783
Scholarships for students who want to study in India
- COMPEX Nepal Scholarship
- B.E./B.Tech : 140 seats
- B.Sc(Agriculture) and BVSc(Bachelor’s in Veterinary Science): 12 seats each(total 24)
- B.Pharma : 20 seats
- B.Sc(Dairy Tech) : 16 seats
- General Cultural Scheme:
- BBA/BBA/Others: 100 seats
- Music/Fine Arts: 5 seats
- Silver Jubilee Scholarship Scheme
- MBA/MBA : 120 seats
- MSc(Agriculture) : 10 seats
- Ph.D : 10 seats
- Dr. Homi J. Bhaba Scheme
- ME/M.Tech: 40 seats
- Technical Cooperation Scheme (TCS) of the Colombo Plan
- integrated training to in-service candidates of GoN/Public Sector nominees of GoN : 35 seats
- Indian Technical and Economic Cooperation (ITEC)
- similar training to Colombo Plan : 35 seats for Government Of Nepal employees and 75 seats for general Public
- Under a new scheme, implemented in 2005-06, 10 Nepalese students are provided scholarships for studying in Army Public School, Pithoragarh in India.
Scholarships for Students studying in Nepal
- The Golden Jubilee Scholarship Scheme
- Stipend(Money) for Nepalese students studying MBBS, BE/B.Tech and other undergraduate courses in Nepal : 100 scholarships
- Stipend(Money) for Nepalese students studying in Class 11 and 12 in Nepal : 1000 scholarships
NOTE: You have to apply during the first year of study
Mode of Selection
The mode of selection is different for different streams:
- For engineering, MBBS, B.Pharma and B. Sc, the student has to give an examination which is conducted by the embassy itself. The centres for the exam are located in either Kathmandu or Birgunj. One has to undergo a thorough preparation in order to pass this examination as it is very competitive and tough.
- For BBA/MBA, a student has to appear for an interview which is conducted inside the premises of the embassy itself. The student’s eligibility for scholarship is judged by his performance during the interview.
- For Golden Jubilee Scholarships, a student must be poor(i.e. have an annual family income of 100000 or less) and also has to appear for an interview.
I have already passed out from NIT Kurukshetra after studying for four years under the scholarship given by the Indian Embassy. Since it is hard for me to keep updated information about any changes in the scholarships, I would be highly grateful if you can comment on the change so I can update the info.
Update 1: I haven’t updated my blog for a long time and lots of queries seem to have piled up. I am sorry for all the readers who I didn’t reply to. If you want any information about applying for Indian Embassy examinations, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you.
Update 2: To all the readers who asked questions in the comments but didn’t get a reply from me, I feel bad that I am unable to help you on a personal basis. I have been thinking about how this problem of lack of information can be solved. If you have any suggestions in mind, mail me at email@example.com
Update 3: Since my knowledge about the current process is limited, I have created a facebook group where aspiring students can ask specific questions and get answered by a larger audience.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask it on the group and me and my friends will try our best to provide you as many details as we can.